Skip to main content

Federal Reserve Internal Inflation Forecast Error

I'm putting together some descriptive statistics for a project (with Cassie Grafstrom) on the forecast errors that Federal Reserve staff make. Is there anything systematic about it?

Our forecast data are from the Fed's Green Book, which is produced before each FOMC meeting. I've created a graph of quarterly forecast errors (simply Forecasts Made 2 Quarters in Advance - Actual Inflation from the Federal Reserves FRED database. Also, forecasts are compared to GNP/GDP deflators and chain-type price indexes, based on changes in what inflation indicators the forecasts are trying to measure across time).


From this graph it seems like the Fed has gotten much better at forecasting inflation two quarters out. However, this is a bit misleading since the absolute level of inflation varies considerably over this time span. In the early part we have the stagflation period with high inflation. Then from the start of the Volker Fed in 1979 absolute inflation decreased. To deal with this problem I simply standardised the errors by making them a proportion of absolute inflation.

We get a much different picture from looking at the second graph. Some thoughts from eyeballing:
  • The Fed tended to underestimate inflation in the 1970s
  • It was then more likely to over estimate than underestimate until around 2000.
  • From around 2000 it tended to drastically underestimate inflation.
The first two observations correspond to what Capistrán (2008) found. However his data didn't go past the late 1990s. The last observation is fairly interesting since it coincides with a period of the Fed steadily lowering the Fed Funds Rate.

More work to follow . . . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slide: one function for lag/lead variables in data frames, including time-series cross-sectional data

I often want to quickly create a lag or lead variable in an R data frame. Sometimes I also want to create the lag or lead variable for different groups in a data frame, for example, if I want to lag GDP for each country in a data frame.I've found the various R methods for doing this hard to remember and usually need to look at old blogposts. Any time we find ourselves using the same series of codes over and over, it's probably time to put them into a function. So, I added a new command–slide–to the DataCombine R package (v0.1.5).Building on the shift function TszKin Julian posted on his blog, slide allows you to slide a variable up by any time unit to create a lead or down to create a lag. It returns the lag/lead variable to a new column in your data frame. It works with both data that has one observed unit and with time-series cross-sectional data.Note: your data needs to be in ascending time order with equally spaced time increments. For example 1995, 1996, 1997. ExamplesNot…

A Link Between topicmodels LDA and LDAvis

Carson Sievert and Kenny Shirley have put together the really nice LDAvis R package. It provides a Shiny-based interactive interface for exploring the output from Latent Dirichlet Allocation topic models. If you've never used it, I highly recommend checking out their XKCD example (this paper also has some nice background).LDAvis doesn't fit topic models, it just visualises the output. As such it is agnostic about what package you use to fit your LDA topic model. They have a useful example of how to use output from the lda package.I wanted to use LDAvis with output from the topicmodels package. It works really nicely with texts preprocessed using the tm package. The trick is extracting the information LDAvis requires from the model and placing it into a specifically structured JSON formatted object.To make the conversion from topicmodels output to LDAvis JSON input easier, I created a linking function called topicmodels_json_ldavis. The full function is below. To use it follow …

Dropbox & R Data

I'm always looking for ways to download data from the internet into R. Though I prefer to host and access plain-text data sets (CSV is my personal favourite) from GitHub (see my short paper on the topic) sometimes it's convenient to get data stored on Dropbox. There has been a change in the way Dropbox URLs work and I just added some functionality to the repmis R package. So I though that I'ld write a quick post on how to directly download data from Dropbox into R. The download method is different depending on whether or not your plain-text data is in a Dropbox Public folder or not.Dropbox Public FolderDropbox is trying to do away with its public folders. New users need to actively create a Public folder. Regardless, sometimes you may want to download data from one. It used to be that files in Public folders were accessible through non-secure (http) URLs. It's easy to download these into R, just use the read.table command, where the URL is the file name. Dropbox recent…